Friday, August 12, 2022

John Carrick Cooper - A Letter from Paris 6 June 1920

PARIS

page 1

Letter 5

From Paris 6 Jun 1920


Dear Mom,


Who do you think I ran into on Thursday, June 3? Why Eleanor! I was sauntering back to my hotel, when lo and behold I spotted her on the corner of the street. I immediately made a beeline for her, & when she got her breath, she was just as surprised to see me as I was to see her. She has improved wonderfully and talk my God, she can and then some. Last night I had her round for supper and we went to a show afterwards. She was very pleased with the whole arrangement for she had just arrived in Paris from Athens. She sails for New York on Thursday, 10th inst. & should arrive there about the same time as this letter. 


Today we all visited Versailles. It is a glorious place. At 2 o'clock they turned on the fountains some 200 of them & my camera was pretty busy. Took over a dozen pictures. I have quite a collection of them by now. 


Versailles fountains circa 1920

The weather here is quite cool, for I am forced to wear my spring coat each day. The rain has kept away so far, making it very pleasant but having to work pretty hard, I do not get much time to take in any of the sites during the day. My part of the work I am getting out very fastly [in a secure or firm manner], for the time is about a month away when we shall sail, & we have several important matters to decide upon. I hope I shall be able to get back to London for a time for a few days to bid goodbye to my friends there, but I am placing no hopes upon that event. 


How are nanny and Bud? Gee won't I be glad to see you both again! I am afraid I will have to report that I am not much fatter. Maybe in the head but not in the body. I eat like a king each day, but to no avail. 


I trust you found everything okay in Boston and that the bride is quickly returning to health again. Harry, I hope is making the mayonnaise slide all over Boston. 


How about a letter? 


Love to all and kisses to self & Bud, 


Dad


page 2



Who is Eleanor?


Photos of Versailles - I wish I had in my possession these photos mentioned here. I found the above postcard online.


Harry Pape - Harry & Piedad Pina (Honey's sister) were married on 4 June 1919. They were living in Boston where Harry opened his business as a distributor of Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise later known as Hellman's & Best Foods. This explains why our family only eats Best Foods! See a future post about Harry Pape's successful business with Richard Hellman.










No comments:

Post a Comment