Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Memories of Tokyo Olympics 1964

I was raised in the military lifestyle of the United States Navy. My father’s career of service brought our family all around the world. I am so thankful for this experience.


Cooper Family 1965
My parents, brother & myself were excited to find out that we were to be sent to Japan. My father served on the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 as the Operations Officer from 1963-1965 stationed in Yokosuka. Our family lived in Negishi Heights Naval Housing in Yokohama. 

Family Photo on the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5.
In a letter to Marty, dated 2 October, Stan types, “I am still working on the Olympic tickets & will try to get the gym finals on the 23rd finalized as soon as possible. Yokosuka reported they have plenty of tickets available on the first-come-first delivered basis. We are trying to communicate with them on my getting four seats for us as I only want to go on a family basis. I do not want any feelings hurt regardless of age.” The ship returned to port in Yokosuka on 14 October. He was not able to get the wanted tickets ahead of time. 

On Sunday, 18 October 1964, the four of us, drove to the Yokohama train station to board the train to Tokyo & purchase tickets for the gymnastics events for that day. Dad was disturbed as he could only purchase tickets for 3 seats together in the same area, which he obtained. 


After discussion with all four of us, my mother contacted by phone our new housekeeper, Teruko-san. It was arranged for her to meet me at the Yokohama train station to bring me to her home as she would watch me until the other three returned to pick me up to take home later in the evening. I remember, my parents, taking me back to the Tokyo train station, buying my train ticket for me to board & ride ALONE to Yokohama. I was eight years old! I am pretty impressed with myself to be able to get to Yokohama & that we found each other. I do remember falling in love with Teruko-san’s dog, a Japanese Spitz named ‘Shirei’ which means white in Japanese.

According to Japanese culture, parents train their children at a young age to be able to go out on their own to complete a task. I recently discovered several current Japanese videos that share about children out on their successful adventures. 

I found these photos, my brother took at the event. 





Three days later, on Wednesday, 21 October, the four of us left again for Tokyo to attend the track & field event. This time my father had 4 tickets in his hand.

I remember this event. I was enthralled by seeing all of the world flags flying in the wind around the stadium, along with the Olympic flame. As I have shared before, we were a family with cameras. My mother just received a new camera, the Kodak Instamatic 300. She took the color shot below. My brother took the black & white pictures at the same event. I am sure my father had his movie camera. I will have to hunt down movies from this time.




I have very special memories of our time in Japan. I plan in sharing more stories of this beautiful country.


The next Olympics are planned for Tokyo in 2020. It is 56 years later since I have been in the Land of the Golden Sun. Recently, I have been dreaming of returning to make more memories!

1 comment:

  1. My brother, Gib, adds, "Thanks Mary for your account. I remember it was stressful having to split. My main memory was watching Abebe Akila’s (Bikila) spectacular finish. He was a Ethiopian barefoot runner winning his second Gold medal in 1964. In the color picture of the track you can actually see him if you look closely." He won his first Gold medal in Rome in 1960 running barefoot. In Tokyo, he ran win shoes on as seen in my photo above & in videos of him running to the finish & winning the Gold.

    ReplyDelete