Sunday, April 23, 2017

World War II Letters - 8 May 1941- Written by Stan Cooper

My father, who just turned 17, took a Navy entrance test on a bet with a buddy. My father passed and his friend failed the exam. Stan came home with papers for his father to sign. His mother cried. He is only a child! Look at the photo below. He even looks too young!

Stanley Gibson Cooper 1924-1967. Photo taken in 1941.

I found them! After my grandparents died in 1969, two years after their Naval Career son died in 1967; a family member mailed my father's letters to my mother. Going through one of my father's military trunks, I found an envelope labeled "Stan's Letters to his Parents 1941-1950." My mother and I took two hours to read through every single page. I decided to share them here on my blog to honor my father and those who served during World War II from 1941-1945.

I decided not to transcribe them, as my father had legible handwriting that is easy to read. Enjoy.














































More letters to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment