Monday, May 29, 2017

World War II Letters - "One Day in March" 1942 - Written by Stan Cooper

Frank Brechlin 1959
Stan realizes it has been too long since he has written to his family. He can only write and mail letters when the ship comes into port. This is also when he receives mail from family. I wish I knew what pictures he was talking about "of Mom and I." Who are the Brechlin family? I found out from my aunt, that Frank and Carrie Brechlin were neighbors that lived two houses down the street who took many photos of their neighbors. The Brechlins had no children of their own so they loved all of the children on their street. They still communicated with my grandparents after Frank and Carrie retired down in Florida.

The Brechlins help Stan and Eileen prepare  for a photo.
My aunt knew what photos I have in my possession that were taken by Mr. Brechlin. Going through my dad's baby album, I find two photos of the Brechlins. One photo shows them with my dad and aunt preparing the children for a photo taken in 1931. I have another of Frank taken with his camera in 1959 as shown above.



Tanta
He also mentions a letter from Tanta that he has to answer. Tanta is his grand aunt, Sophia GUNTHER Muller (1856-1952). She is his maternal grandmother's elder sister. 

I have more stories to share of his memories of her growing up when I post about her life.












Eleven years later, Stan's mother finds the letter and sends it on to Stan reminiscing back to war time and filling in about her current grandchildren, Stan's nephews and niece. She mentions she "will be glued to the TV tomorrow to new inauguration." Must be Ike -1953. 















No comments:

Post a Comment