Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Family Christmas Letters

A Great Family Tradition


I was raised as a "Military Brat" seeing the world. Growing up, I was not able to see my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins on a regular basis. Yet, I have fantastic memories of traveling across the United States and seeing the world.

For the the last 15 years, I have been interested in my family history. I have been also focusing on my story and writing my memories down. Recently, I found a box of extra copies of the annual Christmas letters my parents would send to family and friends. Hallelujah! There were only a few years in the file. After my father's death, my mother continued the family tradition until about ten years ago. 

I love receiving the annual Christmas cards and letters from family and friends. Now with the popularity of family photo cards, there are some with no letter filling me in with the family history from that year. As a family historian that is what I miss the most. Remember cousins, I have files on your family's histories also. I also think of our future family trees.

The loss of letter writing and the print out of negatives into hand held photographs are two results of the computer and internet that forces my generation to make sure our and our children's stories are not forgotten. I am guilty of the same.
I have some cousins who are into scrapbooking and printing out photo books. Keep it up! This has inspired me to look into online photo book printing for 2017 for my "lost" photos that have never been printed out. May this encourage you to do the same. These are also reasons I wanted to start this blog: to keep our family history and stories alive to as many generations as possible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment